Sunday, May 6, 2012

Home at Last!

It's May 6th, 8 days after my arrival back in the USA.  Over the past week, I have spent time in Indy and Evansville reacquainting with my family and friends that I left behind.  But now as I finally begin the unpacking process, its very easy to become nostalgic and reflect upon my semester abroad.  It seems like yesterday when I was arriving in London, and catching my first glimpses of my new and giant home.  And here, four months later exactly, I am sitting in my bed remembering the moment that had to come with arriving, which was leaving.     First, I had to leave my host family.  Our final dinner, giving of going away presents, the final game of farkle, and the last hugs to say goodbye that were met with tears was difficult.  It is amazing how blessed I was to be given these two special parents who made me feel like Grantham, England truly could be home because I had people who loved me there.  The next day, I battled the next "goodbye" task by saying goodbye to my new friends from other schools (who I may never see again) as well as those from UE.  After I finished my British Studies final, I walked around the manor, catching my last glimpses of the elaborate state rooms that had become home.  The cab ride when we watched Harlaxton Manor fade finally out of vision along with the entire we spent there brought with it many emotions.  It was a moment to realize that my study abroad at experience that I had so long looked forward to was fading away and coming to a close.  Truly, it was this cab ride that made me realize how much I would actually miss Harlaxton and the experiences I was so fortunate to have.  While I am thrilled to be back home with family and friends, I truly will miss the four special months that I was able to spend in England and traveling beyond.  It has shown me truly what is important in life, to be gutsy,  and how I can do anything if I put my mind to it.  The memories I have and the friends I have made during this experience I know will be cherished for the rest of my life.

1 comment: